How Do I Accept A Bid?
Going into recruitment is an exciting time, but it can also be very confusing. Here are a few things to keep in mind while going through the recruitment process at UCLA regarding Bids (invitation to join):
Day One Bids
While some fraternities do give out first day bids, do not be discouraged if you do not receive one. You may not find yourself fitting in somewhere until your second, or third day there. Most fraternities adhere by a “no first day” bid policy, where the philosophy is that the members want to get to know you for more than just one day before asking you to join.
If you do receive a bid from a fraternity here at UCLA, it is highly encouraged to hold your bid at least one day (unless received on Sunday) until you are sure this is the one. There are no negative consequences if you do not accept a bid on the spot. While the active members who extended you the bid may be very excited for you to accept right away, we recommend the rushee take at least one day to sleep on it and consider your options. In our experience, holding a bid, and even exploring other houses just to be sure the “Bid House” is the right fit for you, yields a much better outcome than those who accept bids on the spot, especially within the first day or two of recruitment.
Accepting a bid is a very serious thing to do. By accepting a bid, you are pledging your loyalty to a particular fraternity for the remainder of your college career and beyond. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. The process to accepting a bid at UCLA is:
- Being offered one and accepting it.
- The chosen fraternity will hand you a paper bid for you to officially register with IFC.
- You will take the bid to the IFC table on the corner of Gayley and Strathmore and register.
- Once completed, you are withdrawing yourself from the recruitment process and may continue the recruitment process at your new fraternity only within the official recruitment hours.
- Sunday Morning is Bid Day and Blue Card Signing. Between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM, you will be assigned a time with your new pledge class to make it official in 109 Kerckhoff Hall. Following this, you will go to the bear to take a picture with your new pledge class.
- Tuesday night will be your first new member meeting with your new fraternity.
Note: The recruitment process is a substance free process.